Wild Rose (Rosa rugosa)- a fast growing hedging plant.
The wild rose is a beautiful native, deciduous shrub with fragrant pink flowers followed by large vibrant red fruits which have a high vitamin C content.
The fruit has a nice, sweet, fleshy outer section but the centre holds seeds which are surrounded by fine hairs which can cause some irritation in the throat if eaten. The rose hips make great jelly and syrup and the flowers are also edible.
The hips are eaten by fruit-eating birds such as Thrushes, Blackbirds, Redwing, Feildfare and Waxwings.
- Grows to a max height of 2m tall.
- Suitable for normal, chalk and clay soils
- Prefers full sun or semi shade
- Fully hardy
- Pink flowers, edible fruit
- Can tolerate exposed coastal sites
- Rabbits don't seem to like these shrubs!
Supplied shrubs are 40-60cm tall and have been cell grown. Plants will be supplied without the pot with the roots wrapped for safe shipping.